Friday, November 14, 2014

What is up in 1JT: Listening, Math, Sight Word Practice


Cross-Talking

1JT has been practicing the important skill of listening this last week by using a strategy called 'no cross-talk'.  Cross-talking is when one begins talking before the other person is finished and often tries to get their own story, opinion or information out before the other person is able to finish what they were trying to say.  I have heard it also called "talking over" others.  The students were asked to practice listening fully to their partner tell a story, without saying anything until their partner was done talking.  Their job was to only listen.  They were then asked to repeat back to their partner three things they heard them say.  As they took time to really listen to each other I asked them to think about how it made them feel as the talker and the listener.  Here is what they said:

"It felt good, because I knew I would have a turn and I could listen."
"It was hard to not talk."
"It was easier to listen when I wasn't trying to figure out what to say."
"I remembered what they said!"
"I liked that we both had a turn to talk."
"I didn't feel like I had to hurry and get my story in because I knew they were listening."

We talked about how important it was to practice REALLY listening to each other and gather in our minds what the other person was trying to say.  I was very proud of the efforts they put into being good listeners and respecting their friends as they told their stories.  :)  




Math 

In math we are moving on to subtraction!  1JT has been practicing using bears, cards, number bonds and number lines to solve math problems.  The students are working hard on understanding how to turn a subtraction number sentence into an addition number sentence and how they relate to each other.
  EX:  10 - 8 = 2  8+2 = 10.  








Sight Word Practice
 Practicing fluency and spelling of sight words with play dough!





























1 comment:

Melanie said...

Dear Mrs. Turner and 1st Graders,
Hearing the happy news of all that you were able to do with Read to Feed is such a special example of how we can all help others and build compassion in our world. I feel very thankful that you are learning about the rights of a child. You are very lucky to go to such a super school. Keep up the great work! :) Melanie